- 1 medium lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk, fat-free
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour, whole-wheat pastry – or white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries – or frozen (not thawed)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 large (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the lemon in long strips. Combine the zest and sugar in a food processor; pulse until the zest is very finely chopped into the sugar. Add buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla and pulse until blended.
- Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the buttermilk mixture and fold until almost blended. Gently fold in raspberries. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until the edges and tops are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Calories: 185 Carbs: 27g Cholesterol: 18mg Dietary Fiber: 2g Protein: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 245mg Total Fat: 7g