Lemony Kale Salad with Tomatoes
Farmer’s market finds: kale, cherry tomatoes, lemons, walnuts
Leafy kale makes a healthful summer salad soaked in olive oil and fresh lemon juice and paired with juicy cherry tomatoes. Walnuts and homemade croutons add a touch of satisfying crunch.
- 2 bunches dinosaur kale
- 3 cups red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup Homemade Croutons
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 – 4 lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
2. In an extra-large bowl combine kale, tomatoes, croutons, nuts, and the grated Parmesan cheese. Juice lemons over salad ingredients. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, then toss salad to combine. Sprinkle servings with the shaved Parmesan.
- HOMEMADE CROUTONS Remove crust from a chunk of ciabatta or baguette. Tear the bread in enough pieces to equal about 1 cup. Transfer to a large bowl. Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter with a small clove of garlic, minced. Drizzle over bread and toss to coat. Spread on a baking sheet; sprinkle with salt. Bake at 350 degrees F for 9 to 11 minutes, tossing once halfway through baking time.