- 1 tsp. cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 12 ounces coconut milk
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, such as Japanese King Trumpet Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 pound uncooked, peeled shrimp
- 8 fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Cooked rice, to serve
- 1 1/2 cups white rice (basmati, jasmine or sushi)
- 2 1/4 cups water
Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add in the cooking oil and red curry paste. Whisk for about 30 seconds. Pour in the coconut milk and continue whisking. Add in the mushrooms and the red peppers and continue cooking for 3 minutes. Add the shrimp to the curry and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the basil and serve over cooked rice.
To make the rice, scoop the grains into a tall microwave-safe container, pot or steamer. Fill the pot with water and swish the water and rice with your hands. Pour out the water, keeping the rice in the pot (just cup your hands around the rice to prevent it from pouring out). Repeat 2-3 more times until the water is just barely cloudy.
Add enough water to cover the rice by about 1″ (about 2 1/4 cups of water).
Microwave on high for 9 minutes. Let rest, covered, for 3 minutes