- 1 12 – ounce package refrigerated cubed butternut squash, such as Green Giant brand or Marketside (Walmart brand)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 14 1/2 – ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 12 – ounce can evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Fresh thyme sprig (optional)
- Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- Pour contents of the butternut squash package into a 2-quart microwave-safe baking dish with a lid. Add 2 tablespoons water. Cover. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 3 minutes. Stir. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 3 minutes more. Stir again. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) about 2 minutes more or until squash is very tender. Using a pastry blender or potato masher, mash squash.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy medium saucepan cook onion in hot butter until tender, stirring frequently.
- In a food processor or blender combine cooked onions, mashed squash, broth, evaporated milk, brown sugar, salt, the 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and the white pepper. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Return soup to the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until heated through. If desired, garnish with thyme and freshly grated nutmeg.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 189 cal., 6 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 15 mg chol., 606 mg sodium, 26 g
carb. (3 g fiber, 16 g sugars), 9 g pro.
Recipe courtesy of: DiabeticLiving.com