Morning Inspiration…Eating lunch doesn’t have to look like the traditional salad with a side of chicken breast and a little fruit. Why not have several sliced veggies with hummus and some almonds or walnuts? For dessert you could try sliced strawberries with a tablespoon (or two) of nutella. Yum!! The combos are endless…celery and peanut butter, apples with greek yogurt. Have fun with your lunch!-blackwomendoworkout
- 1 Tablespoon Butter Or Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Diced Zucchini
- 1/2 cup Diced Yellow Squash
- 1/2 whole Medium Onion, Cut Into Chunks
- Salt And Pepper
- 1 whole Tomato, Sliced Thick
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 slice Cheese (Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Swiss, Etc)
Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until 2 to 3 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add the zucchini and squash, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir to cook for 3 to 4 minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Grill the tomato slices on a grill pan or simply sear them in a hot skillet. Remove and set aside.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a gentle boil. Add the vinegar. Use a wooden spoon to carefully stir the water into a circular “whirlpool.” Crack one egg into the water and allow it to swirl around in the water until the egg begins to set. Let it stay in the water for 1 minute, then remove it with a slotted spoon and set it on a plate. Repeat with the other egg. If eggs need to be cooked longer, just add them back to the water for 30 seconds at a time.
Spoon the vegetables on a plate or in a bowl and set the eggs on top. Lay the tomato slices on the side. Place the cheese slice on the side so that it starts to soften from the heat.
Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper and serve!
Note: Add a link or two of chicken or turkey sausage if desired.
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.pioneerwoman.com
Scramble 1 whole egg with 1 egg white in a skillet coated with a teaspoon of olive oil. Place on toasted whole wheat English muffin and spread with 1/4 c mashed Hass avocado. Top with 1 slice reduced-fat Cheddar cheese or mozzarella and tomato slices.
Total calories: 397
Nutrition tip courtesy of:Prevention Magazine
This warm waffle and cool yogurt combo is a delicious sit-down meal that’s ready in less than 5 minutes. Too sweet for the morning? Serve it as an after-dinner dessert.
- Prepare 2 frozen whole grain waffles according to package directions
- Top each waffle with ¼ c nonfat plain yogurt
- Add 1 Tbsp slivered almonds, ¼ c fresh raspberries, and ½ Tbsp pure maple syrup
Total calories: 409
Recipe and Calorie count courtesy of: http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-recipes/400-calorie-breakfasts?s=9&?cid=social_20140709_27405316
Order this omelet at your favorite weekend breakfast spot, or make this combo in your own kitchen.
- Request an omelet made with 1 egg and 2 egg whites
- Fill it with spinach, tomatoes, and a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella
- Eat with 2 slices of whole wheat toast (no butter!)
Total calories: 391
Recipe and calorie count courtesy of: http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-recipes/400-calorie-breakfasts?s=3&?cid=social_20140709_27405316
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 slices turkey pepperoni (0.25 ounce total), quartered
- 2 tablespoons diced green sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons presliced mushrooms
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 deli flat 7-grain thin roll, split
- 2 teaspoons pizza sauce
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese, cut diagonally into quarters
- 4 slices Roma tomato (optional)
- Coat a small nonstick saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Sprinkle pepperoni, sweet pepper, and mushrooms into saucepan; cook for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites and milk; pour over pepperoni mixture in saucepan. Cook until egg white mixture begins to set. Using a spatula, fold the partially cooked egg white mixture over; cook about 2 minutes more or until it is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, toast the deli flat halves. Place cut sides down. While still warm, spread each half with 1 teaspoon of the pizza sauce; place two of the cheese quarters on each half.
- Spoon half of the egg mixture over each of the prepared deli flat halves. If desired, top with tomato.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 1
PER SERVING: 218 cal., 6 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 23 mg chol., 563 mg sodium, 23 g carb. (6 g fiber, 5 g sugars), 21 g pro.