Morning Inspiration…Eating lunch doesn’t have to look like the traditional salad with a side of chicken breast and a little fruit. Why not have several sliced veggies with hummus and some almonds or walnuts? For dessert you could try sliced strawberries with a tablespoon (or two) of nutella. Yum!! The combos are endless…celery and peanut butter, apples with greek yogurt. Have fun with your lunch!-blackwomendoworkout
- 2 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and tenders removed (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth, or dry white wine
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Season chicken with pepper and salt on both sides.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once or twice and adjusting the heat to prevent burning, until brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes. Pour in vermouth (or wine); simmer until almost evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Pour in broth and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cream and chives (or scallions); return to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan, turn to coat with sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
Per serving: 275 calories; 15 g fat ( 5 g sat , 7 g mono ); 84 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 373 mg sodium; 370mg potassium.
Recipe courtesy of EatingWell.com